[BALUG-Admin] BALUG history recapped

Mike Higashi mhigashi@gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 20:43:58 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> [1] Earliest reference I can find is Nov. 1996.  Elsewhere
> (http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2005-September/000078.html),
> I've posted that Sifry and Tyde founded the group in 1997.  I seem to
> been off by a year -- but that's the sort of thing that happens when a
> group obliterates its own history.

I found a Usenet archive of a posting to comp.os.linux.misc from July, 1997
that announce the 1 year anniversary meeting, so 1996 would be correct.

For look back at previous versions of the BALUG web site from the Internet
Archive:

   http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.balug.org

For a snapshot of the original mail list, as of April, 1999:

   http://web.archive.org/web/19990203040039/balug.org/resMail.html

The next snapshot after that was taken by the Internet Archive in October
of 1999, which was after the new site design had wiped out the original one.

For an incomplete list of some early speakers:

   http://web.archive.org/web/19990202183446/balug.org/meetOld.html

Mike