[BALUG-Admin] time to change list ... passwords

Tue Sep 8 22:16:01 PDT 2009

Once upon a time, it was said:

Quoting "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>:

> Quoting "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>:

>> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

>>> If you don't want to be bothered with changing the "Moderator" password
>>> (you already covered "Admin" - Thanks!) ... just say the word
>>> and I'll take care of "Moderator" password.

>> You're welcome to set it to something obscure and then forget what it
>> is.  That's probably the smartest thing to do with it.  ;->

Quoting "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>:

> A lot of the documentation claims (as above) that the roles work only if
> someone has the related password and his/her e-mail address is set for
> that role.  That's actually not true.

Anyway, not sure if we actually covered changing that "moderator"
password earlier this year, or not ... so, ... to cover our bases
(defense in depth :-)), it's been changed now - to something quite
obscure, and then promptly irretrievably forgotten (having highly
efficiently non-reversiblely encrypted and compressed it, by writing
it to /dev/null).