[BALUG-Admin] [BALUG-Talk] Cisco - Sr. Linux Engineer - Web 2.0 Start-up Business Unit

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 12 13:14:15 PDT 2010

Quoting Jesse Zbikowski (embeddedlinuxguy@gmail.com):

> Maybe we could also direct job posters to the sf-lug info page

Let's talk about that.

It might be doing no favour to SF-LUG, since a recruiter who ignores
BALUG's terse bold-text guideline is unlikely to heed SF-LUG's less
prominent and more verbose one to send jobs postings to jim@well.com .

More to the point, IMO, your suggestion is mostly redundant to what we
already do.  Why do I say that?  Because the hyperlink from balug-talk's
listinfo page (http://lists.balug.org/listinfo.cgi/balug-talk-balug.org)
to 'SVLUG Jobs' is to a page with a _comprehensive_ list of places to
send Linux jobs postings in the Bay Area, and item #6 of 13 on that list
is 'SF-LUG [link] accepts jobs postings via the listadmin'.

I am intimately familiar with that page and its contents
(http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/jobs), because I maintain it.

Frankly, I think that SF-LUG link, with a reminder that SF-LUG accepts
jobs postings _via the listadmin_, is inherently to be preferred to
sending people directly to the SF-LUG listinfo page, which is a bit less
clear and invites more of these 'I apologise in advance if I made a
mistake' dances.

> This seems like the most appropriate place for San Francisco-based
> Linux developer jobs, since SVLUG is for the valley and BayLisa is for
> sysadmins.

Well, as a data point, I might point out that the Cisco guy was
advertising a _San Jose_ software engineering job, and that this is, in
my experience, pretty typical of the recruiters who come charging in and
ignoring BALUG's mailing list rules.