[BALUG-Admin] [BALUG-Talk] Cisco - Sr. Linux Engineer - Web 2.0 Start-up Business Unit

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 12 13:40:59 PDT 2010

Quoting Jesse Zbikowski (embeddedlinuxguy@gmail.com):

> That's true, and interesting to note that he couldn't even be bothered
> to include this information in his posting. Personally I am
> non-plussed at how many recruiters don't bother to communicate where
> the job actually is. I don't know that there are any geographical
> restrictions for sf-lug job posts, but it would be good practice to
> include the city in the subject  line or the first few lines of the
> body. Just my two cents.

FWIW, I've also managed SVLUG's Jobs mailing list for quite a few years,
and one of its rules is that all postings for full-time positions must
be for jobs within 75 miles of San Jose.  One of the most frequent
reasons listadmins rejecting postings to that mailing list is recruiters
failing to include location at all.  (Postings that refer readers to a
URL for details get immediately rejected, because the listadmins need to
vet postings from the Mailman interface, and so postings are expected to
be self-contained.)

SVLUG's experience at the time (see qualifier below) was that it was
impractical to permit jobs postings in the main Linux discussion mailing
list under any rules whatsoever, because a large number of recruiters
would always just ignore any rules and 'apologise in advance'.  (I
should stress that it's just _some_ recruiters.  I really feel for the
careful and diligent ones.)

The SVLUG listadmins eventually not only created a separated, dedicated
Jobs list, but also discovered the hard way that it had to be fully
moderated.

(Most of the badness occurred during the dot-com explosion of business,
in fairness.)