[BALUG-Admin] BALUG & migration/extrication from DreamHost.com

Fri Feb 19 00:46:58 PST 2016

FYI, thought I'd pass this along so more folks interested in BALUG's
administration/administrivia would be made more generally aware of what's
happening with this.  (we do also have an "unadvertised" (mostly try and
keep it off public exposure to hopefully reduce spam) off-list alias
for the "systems administrators" of BALUG ... but that alias only goes
to myself and Jim Stockford - so makes for quite limited audience ...
it's intended for those systems administrators having root/superuser
administrative access to BALUG stuff (or at least much or most of
the relevant bits thereof), and also for stuff that may be
"sensitive" and ought not be publicly exposed/archived).

And some other updates too ...

Also, as of yesterday A.M. PST, I now also have "reverse" DNS for
IPv6 that will also be used by BALUG (actually, BALUG is already
making some use of IPv6, but for mail and lists, where IPv6 is in use
we'll certainly also want to have proper "reverse" DNS also in place).

----- Forwarded message from Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu -----
     Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 08:12:12 -0800
     From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
  Subject: Re: balug.org Dreamhost.com account from suspended to
unsuspended - site coming back
       To: "Michael Hubbard" <michael.hubbard@gmail.com>
       Cc: "Jim Stockford" <jim@well.com>, "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>

[BCC: acohen36@linuxwaves.com]
That'll pro'lly mostly be me.

I did get reverse DNS set up with my ISP quite recently,
hoping to get mail and anti-spam and list software installed and
configured - or at least initial configuration bits - fairly soon.
I may also need to do bit about space (it's mostly a VM that
runs atop a laptop - so only so much SSD to spare for it ...
but I can probably squeeze out a wee bit more for it).

May take a bit to get everything moved over and tested.  Do also have
some old DB stuff I want to be sure we've sucked out of DreamHost.

Michael Hubbard - what's your timeframe look like?  Would 2 months, or
possibly as little as a month be sufficient?  Or do you need it
faster/sooner than that? ... of course realizing faster may be
better - if feasible, so you don't have BALUG "chaining" you to
DreamHost longer than reasonably needed to smoothly move off
of DreamHost (or as smoothly as DreamHost allows to be feasible).

Let me/us know - and thanks for covering the DreamHost bit all
these years.