[BALUG-Admin] Status/tracking - DreamHost.com exodus (not there yet, but getting closer yet! :-)

Sun Aug 27 13:21:35 PDT 2017

More details are and remain on the relevant wiki pages (and
they're fairly close to current).

High level is we're not far away from completing migration.  Have a bit
of bottleneck for communication to DreamHost primary account holder and
follow-through to request DreamHost providing of raw mbox archive files,
and DreamHost satisfactorily fulfilling such.  After that it's just about
down to some "mechanics" (relatively easy - especially with all the
staging and pre-work that's been done) to complete the migration,
and wee bit 'o time due to some DNS TTLs (those will cause up to 48 hrs.
for some steps to 100% complete).

So ... at this point essentially waiting on two steps to be completed
which I can't directly control ... so we wait a bit.  But I'm reasonably
confident those two steps (and probably in relatively rapid succession)
will be completed in the upcoming week or two ... and I'll be increasingly
persistent, as appropriate (and while trying not to be a "nag"), to see that
those steps get completed.

Also, most of the @balug.org infrastructure is in place and about ready
to go ... I just need to tweak MTA (exim4) config very slightly at the
time of DNS switchover - but it's been fairly well tested thus far.
The @balug.com alias stuff "works" - at least for certain definitions of
"works" - notably not worse than it exists on the DreamHost.com
infrastructure ... even tested out fair improvement upon it - and can
finish implementing those bits of improvements anytime between now and
when that actual switch over is kicked off (probably just another
30 to 120 minutes of my time to do the configs more fully and some
additional testing ... I'll likely put some more details up later
about that ... more notably after I've tested further, and see how
much I'm able to feasibly improve it without having to spend too
much time mucking about with it).