[BALUG-Admin] Config settings (was: pre-announce / "soft" open) BALUG-Test list)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 11 21:45:56 PDT 2017

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Great, sounds excellent - thanks.  :-)
>
> BALUG-Test or balug-test would be appropriate (depending on
> context, etc.), but not Balug-test - I think it must've defaulted
> to initial cap on that, as I'd not altered that.

I didn't change that (what you refer to as public name of the list) --
only the Subject header 'tag'.   GNU Mailman's defaults evince a fetish
for initial capitalisation that I find silly and am at some pains to
correct.

> Send monthly password reminders?  Don't think I'd changed that
> from the default.

Hmm, curious.

There's a great deal of dumb online arguing about Mailman's
_traditional_ default of mailing each subscriber his/her subscription
password on the first of each month.  After much pondering, I think on
balance it's A Good Thing for several reasons I won't get into unless
you wish me to.

> Probably doesn't matter much at all for
> BALUG-Test.  For BALUG-{Admin,Talk,Announce} might be best to
> match - or at least approximate - existing configurations being
> migraged ... at least excepting where they're clearly wrong/broken.

I actually do thing 'yes' is A Good Thing.  Glad to discuss this if you
wish.

> I think so far the only message that got held for moderation was
> both legitimate ... and legitimate hold ... it was where I'd
> Bcced the list ....

Yes, Bcc'ing a mailing list is pretty much always going to cause
listadmin scrutiny.  No way around that.

> Send mail to poster when their posting is held for approval?
> (Edit respond_to_post_requests) ... debatable....

Again, glad to discuss my reasoning.  (It's late, and I've had too
little sleep, or I'd say more here.  But I've pretty firmly come down on
the 'no' side after much pondering.)

> Replace the From: header address with the list's posting address to
> mitigate issues stemming from the original From: domain's DMARC or
> similar policies.
> (from_is_list) - looks like that's set to: No Do nothing special
> ... anyway, probably should reasonably do as existing lists - if that's
> not too broken; in any case, can review later.

I'm too tired to talk about this, but the setting I established does
munging when required to comply with the sending domain's DMARC policy,
resulting in the From: header on that particular mailing list post, as
retransmitted to the subscribers, becoming a bit peculiar.  I recommend
looking up details.  The solution's dismaying but necessitated by the
badness that is DMARC.

> And ... looking over one other list of same installation, which I'd
> not tweaked configuration on at all ... looks like that's the
> default (No Do nothing special)....

Umm....  The setting I described is definitely _not_ the Mailman default.

> Send monthly password reminders? - looks like that has a default of No
> on new lists.

Curious.  That's a change from the built-in defaults of the releases
I've run in the past.

Again, when I'm less tired and have more time, I can present my
reasoning why I think 'yes' is better in general.