[BALUG-Admin] A certain Rick De Gae tano

Wed Mar 29 06:48:47 PDT 2017

Other than those atypical settings themselves, I've found no reason
for them to be there.  In my checking, here's what I found - and what
just wasn't there to be found:

Well ...

nothing that I recall ... but wetware uses rather lossy compression ...

Searching 'da Interwebs - with demangling of said last name and balug -
some search hit results, but nothing seeming of particular relevance.

Doing a rather thorough search on the filesystems on the one host that
may have relevant data (has lots of BALUG archive stuff - including list
stuff that's no longer on The Internet) ... overly broad search, excess
privilege [8-O] ... but human time efficient and can thin out what's not
relevant ... and ...
# find /usr /var /home -xdev -type f ! -size 0 -exec fgrep -li
[REDACTED] \{\} \;
/var/lib/dokuwiki/acl/users.auth.php.BAK/rosters/BALUG-Announce.membership_2015-01-06
/home/balug/e-mail_lists/balug-talk/membership/RCS/membership,v
/home/balug/e-mail_lists/balug-talk/membership/membership
/home/balug/e-mail_lists/balug-announce/membership/RCS/membership,v
/home/balug/e-mail_lists/balug-announce/membership/membership
#
So ...
/var/lib/dokuwiki/acl/users.auth.php.BAK/rosters/BALUG-Announce.membership_2015-01-06
is fairly uninteresting - looks like old copy of roster - and mostly
redundant with the other file hits.
And checking the others ...
I see said email address as having subscribed to the balug-announce list
sometime between approximately
2008-01-02T17:22:14-0800
and
2008-02-08T06:18:41-0800
and having been on the list ever since (at least based on the
approximately monthly roster backup copies I have).
As for the balug-talk list, I show said email address as always having
been subscribed - again that's based on approximately monthly backups,
and that data goes back to ... approximately 2007-03-22T12:18:00T-0700.
Also very possible that said email address was (semi-)automagically
added to balug-announce if said address was subscribed to balug-talk but
not balug-announce (looks like that policy was added around
2008-01-02T09:40:26-0800).
I also checked ye oldest mail archive copies I have - that were long ago
pulled from archive.org ... those copies are in individual files, not
compressed nor tar(1)ed or the like - so if there were any matches for
that last name string there, that find(1) would have found them.
Interestingly, seems like there are zero posts from said email ...
unless perhaps they were removed, or might be among the list posts I
wasn't able to find/save/recover.

Does seem odd that said email address is subscribed to balug-talk and
balug-announce, and I'm presuming no atypical settings there, yet was
administratively blocked from balug-admin.

Checking (at least much/most) of my own email archives, I find only one
email, and it looks highly innocuous (excerpted bits):