[BALUG-Admin] Login to BALUG Wiki (& registration, bit 'o history, etc.)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 16 17:36:47 PST 2018

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Tossing this one onto (suitable) list, because ... well, why not!  :-)

Good idea.  I was getting a bad feeling about that discussion being
entirely in private mail if only because it's almost impossible to
re-find those things when you need them later.

> >Sorry, but what 'self-' registraiton page?  Not sure what this reference
> >is to.
>
> Heck, been so long I forget where the self-registration wiki page even
> is/was.

Running the 'curl' invocation you suggested revealed that one way to get
to that page is
https://secure.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start&do=register , page load
of which indeed brings up a notice 'Command disabled: register'

In the log you cited, you say:

  still need better protection on Register before opening that up
  again (there are plugins that may be quite helpful, but alas, those
  plugins don't appear to be packaged for the current Debian stable).

On my way to research and see if that's still true, I stumbled on
https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to-install-dokuwiki-on-debian-wheezy-with-nginx/,
which includes this recommendation:

  Once the installation is complete, our recommendation is to install
  ‘captcha’ and ‘preregister’ plug-ins in order to protect the
  registration against spam bots which create a huge amount useless fake
  users.

And indeed I do not see a Debian-stable package for the DokuWiki CAPTCHA
plugin.

Some things are (rarely) worth going outside the package regime for.
Just sayin'.