[BALUG-Admin] Login to BALUG Wiki (& registration, bit 'o history, etc.)

Fri Nov 16 07:11:22 PST 2018

Tossing this one onto (suitable) list, because ... well, why not!  :-)

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: Login to BALUG Wiki
> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:57:40 -0800

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Seems more logical would to have that information on the
>> "self-"registration wiki page ... otherwise folks may not see it
>> anyway.
>
> After successful login, I put a notice on
> https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php , near the top.

Thanks ... I also tweaked the language (very) slightly just for slightly
better approximation of (mostly historical) reality.

> I ack your point that autoregistrations were few and far between, but
> lack of any information about how to get a login meant that anyone
> wanting to help would have no idea how to proceed.
>
> Sorry, but what 'self-' registraiton page?  Not sure what this reference
> is to.

Heck, been so long I forget where the self-registration wiki page even
is/was.

>> I figured manual was "quite good enough" to stop the immediate issue
>> (the high volume of bot registrations was causing the wiki to bog down
>> and fail in annoying ways).
>
> I sympathise.
>
> Restoring login _with_ CAPTCHA plugin would be a 'have your cake and eat
> it too' solution, IMO -- if/when you get around to it.

Yep *somewhere* on the "todo" list.

Background/history - have a look at:
curl -s --range 134225-268633 https://www.archive.balug.org/log.txt
And *also* very handy for me too ... looks like I'd *disabled* the
registration page - so likely it doesn't show at all, or just won't
let one self-register.