[BALUG-Admin] Going through delivery notices for balug-* subscribers

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 25 22:43:11 UTC 2022

Seven things to note/follow-up things I did.  Item #6 includes a
question.

Item 1, Google being a problem child:

> sarah@cloudmade.com, BALUG-Announce, disabled too many bounces
>   sarah@cloudmade.com
>   host aspmx2.googlemail.com [142.250.115.26]
>   SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<sarah@cloudmade.com>:
>   451-4.3.0 Multiple destination domains per transaction is unsupported.  Please
>   451 4.3.0 try again. o33-20020a05687107a100b0010cf5ab4f5dsi16685048oap.145 - gsmtp:
>   retry timeout exceeded
> RM:  So, this is Google being a pooh-pooh head.  Discussed at places like
> https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/gmail-multiple-destination-domains-per-transaction-problem-in-exim-conf.45326/

Since lists.balug.org uses Exim, the mitigation mentioned for Exim in
that and similar discussions of how to deal with GMail's fussiness
_could_ be enabled.  Worth considering.

_OTOH_, it's just a tempfail, on their part.  Subscribers who got these
would have gotten their mail after retry attempts.  So, the
counter-argument would be "No, we're not going to make outbound
mail inefficient just because Google is being a pooh-pooh head."

Item 2, probably DNSBL refusals:

> pozar@lns.com, BALUG-Announce, disabled too many bounces
>   pozar@lns.com
>   host lns.com [107.161.208.1]
>   SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<pozar@lns.com>:
>   554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [96.86.170.229] blocked using b.barracudacentral.org;
>   http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?pr=1&ip=96.86.170.229

As a reminder, 96.86.170.229 being on a bunch of industry DNSBLs still
exists, and is on your plate, Michael.  E.g., if you're pretty sure
we're running a clean mail operation, you could go through the
IP-removal drill at those DNSBLs.  I've systemically removed _one_
possible cause of our getting there, by switching off "monthly password
reminder" mails.  So, at least _that_ would not get falsely reported to
the DNSBLs by subscribers.

https://multirbl.valli.org/dnsbl-lookup/96.86.170.229.html lists nine
blacklists.  (There are some double-counts among the nine.)

One of the interesting ones is the RFC Clueless "postmaster" DNSBL,
claiming that IP 96.86.170.229 refuses mail to postmaster@ .  You said
you checked that from an external IP.  This is me verifying that they're
on crack.

$ telnet 96.86.170.229 25
Trying 96.86.170.229...
Connected to 96.86.170.229.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 balug-sf-lug-v2.balug.org ESMTP Exim 4.92 Mon, 25 Jul 2022 22:03:51
+0000
HELO linuxmafia.com.
250 balug-sf-lug-v2.balug.org Hello linuxmafia.com [96.95.217.99]
MAIL FROM: <root@linuxmafia.com>
250 OK
RCPT TO: <postmaster@lists.balug.org>
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself