[BALUG-Admin] Gandi.net wins (was: So, joker.com, then?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 2 18:42:05 UTC 2024

I wrote:

> My understanding is that the 60-day freeze was only on further outbound
> transfers.

Gandi.net _allows_ me to toggle off "Transfer Lock" (I tested), but the
caption warns "Please note that a transfer out may be blocked by the
extension's registry policy during the first 60 days following
creation."

ICANN has alleged documentation about the 60-day thing, here.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

  Why can't I transfer a domain name I just registered to another
  registrar?

  There are certain situations that can prevent a domain name from being
  transferred to a different registrar, such as a new registration. Your
  registrar may deny a transfer request if the domain name is within 60
  days of initial registration. Another situation is if the domain name is
  subject to a 60-day Change of Registrant lock. You cannot transfer a
  domain name to a different registrar within 60 days of making changes to
  the registrant name, organization or email address (or the
  Administrative Contact email address, if there is no registrant email
  address). At their discretion, some registrars may provide an option for
  you to opt-out of this 60-day lock period. However, this rule is in
  place for your protection against unauthorized transfers and the
  registrar does not have to offer this option. If your ultimate goal is
  to transfer the domain name, you may want to consider completing the
  transfer process before changing your contact information.

  Registrars also have the option of denying a transfer request within 60
  days from when you last transferred the domain name to a different
  registrar. You may have the option to change web-hosting providers
  instead of registrars to avoid the inter-registrar transfer process (and
  lock) altogether. You may also update your domain name's nameservers or
  change the hosting IP address assigned to your domain name. Check with
  your registrar and/or hosting provider to see what options you have.

Par for the course for registrar documentation:  Maybe you'd be
permitted to transfer within 60 days of a transfer or of making certain
changes, if you need to, or maybe not.  Magic 8 Ball hazy!

However, as goofy as that FAQ answer is, the tip about _not_ touching
any of your contact details on any domain you may soon wish to transfer
is an excellent one.

--
Cheers,                          "The Cloud is just smoke from outage fires."
Rick Moen                                       -- c0debabe