[BALUG-Admin] Comcast Business & SecurityEdge

Michael Paoli michael.paoli@berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 5 00:00:52 UTC 2024

Rick,

May want to consider change in Comcast Business account type ...
most notably, if feasible, to get entirely away from the fsckery of
the (mis)feature of SecurityEdge.
I've got Comcast Business, and SecurityEdge appears absolutely nowhere
on my account nor is it even any kind of option or configuration or the like
... unless of course I were to change account type - which of course I
certainly don't want to do if it throws the SecurityEdge (mis)feature at me.

Anway, account type - if that might be useful and if Comcast Business
still offers it as a type one can switch to ... let's see, on my account, it
shows as ...
-----
We noticed your network isn’t being protected from cyberthreats with
SecurityEdge™. Help protect all connected devices on your business’s
network with this simple solution.
Get A Preview
Invisible
My Plan
Starter Internet
35 Mbps / 5 Mbps
-----
That shows (after login) at URL:
https://business.comcast.com/connectivity/internetdashboard/
And fsck no, I'm not clicking that thingy that mentions SecurityEdge™.
Anyway, at least when I signed up, that was the lowest cable speed they offered
(more than fast enough for my needs, and way faster than the DSL I earlier had)
while otherwise satisfying my requirements (some static IPv4s, able to
host servers,
unblocked outbound access to TCP port 25 on The Internet, etc.).
And, I believe one can also have same account/package type, and merely
upgrade in speed, without changing account type, if that might be
desired/relevant
(e.g. to match whatever current speed options you have).

Anyway, might well be worth considering, if feasible, and it makes at least
the SecurityEdge™ headaches go away and stay away.
So, yeah, may want to "downgrade" at least certain portion(s)
that someone else on account earlier "upgraded" <cough, cough> to.
Why pay extra for those added unwanted (dis-)services?