[BALUG-Admin] excess NOTIFY (about ever 90s) ISC BIND 9.18.24 ...

Michael Paoli michael.paoli@berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 8 23:31:25 UTC 2024

So, haven't 100% gotten to the bottom of the excess NOTIFY,
but it is apparently present in ISC BIND 9.18.24 and some other versions,
and Debian bind9 1:9.18.24-1 which is the current version for the current stable
Debian 12 bookworm.  Also thinking that bug, for Debian stable, probably
doesn't make it to >=important priority (probably just priority normal),
so probably won't get fixed in the current stable.
Thus far, this is what I've run across that seems most informative about it:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/3242
So, workarounds?  I'm not going to be upgrading that host from stable
for quite some time (most likely year(s)), and other alternatives to fixing it
on the server side is probably more additional overhead than I'm likely to
want to bother with - so probably not going there.
On the client side, can reconfigure logging to not log those bits,
or possibly ignore them (e.g. by filter) in whatever
notifications/reporting one is doing.
So, yes, it is definitely coming from the nameserver itself, and all indications
are it's a bug.  I did see some chatter somewhere about it possibly being a
but only if client doesn't respond in some way(s)?  But that's not what I see
in my testing on clients that do respond as expected, so I don't think that's
it at all - at least in my case.

Oh, as for possibly adjusting the logging on [ns1.]linuxmafia.com,
I notice it's got
bind9 version 1:9.7.1.dfsg.P2-2
installed, and yes, also has
bind9-doc version 1:9.4.2-4,
but that's different version.
However, it does have, in /var/cache/apt/archives/
bind9-doc_9.7.1.dfsg.P2-2_all.deb
So, that would be the corresponding documentation package,
which could be installed, or the files simply extracted from that and
consulted as may be desired.  Anyway, within that, around:
doc/bind9-doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#id2575303
It has information about configuring logging, what the defaults are
and the category
notify
in logging configuration that one can use to adjust what one
does/doesn't want done regarding logging of
notify
activity.

And, along the way, I've also rather well updated:
Debian wiki: DNSSEC Howto for BIND 9.9+:
https://wiki.debian.org/DNSSEC%20Howto%20for%20BIND%209.9+
And also well whipping mpaoli.net (and nameserver in general) configuration
into shape for the current Debian stable.

If I find anything else particularly noteworthy about the notify situation,
I'll update.