[Balug-announce] BALUG meeting 2005-09-20 7:00 P.M. PDT. at Four Seas Restaurant

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 19 23:26:46 PDT 2005

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael@halligan.org):

> I have not called any of these places. perhaps the banquet room is a
> good feature, in my opinion it's the only feature. I'll admit I have
> no concept of the difficulties related to finding a group friendly
> venue. On the other hand, perhaps it would be more effective to find a
> company with a large meeting room to donate a few hours of its' time,
> and then the meetings could be restaurant neutral.

Take-out?  ;->  (I see we get to that, below.)

> I have, however, been to the Four Seas outside of balug, and not been
> impressed.

Eh, I've tasted better.  I think the tourist food is pretty bad; the
downstairs regular menu's decent Chinatown-standard.

> Every few months the same conversation rears it's head on Balug.. Why
> is it so quiet?

I'd speculate that it's quiet because most people who attend are
sufficiently happy with their available options:

o  Fork over a tenner; eat the tourist food.
o  Order downstairs, eat better.
o  Eat elsewhere, then join the meeting and don't eat.

Anyhow, do you speak of "hiring caterers" from experience?  Is that
likely to be tricky/uncertain/expensive/time-consuming, or not?

You could be right, however.  I'll be interested to see what you find.

Or you could convince the other admins to do that stuff for you.  (I'm
just a guy on this mailing list who helps out occasionally.  I don't
run the joint.)