[Balug-announce] BALUG meeting 2005-09-20 7:00 P.M. PDT. at Four Seas Restaurant

Michael T. Halligan michael@halligan.org
Mon Sep 19 23:09:42 PDT 2005

Rick,

I have not called any of these places. perhaps the banquet room is a
good feature, in my
opinion it's the only feature. I'll admit I have no concept of the
difficulties related to finding
a group friendly venue. On the other hand, perhaps it would be more
effective to find a
company with a large meeting room to donate a few hours of its' time,
and then the meetings
could be restaurant neutral.

I have, however, been to the Four Seas outside of balug, and not been
impressed. Every few months the same
conversation rears it's head on Balug.. Why is it so quiet? The answers
are always the same, lack of
speakers,  the need to avoid drama, and the restaurant. I have no ideas
as to how to solve the
first two issues, but the restaurant one seems solvable.

There are enough companies in San Francisco who I bet would love the
"publicity" of donating a large conference room
for a few hours per month to a Linux crowd... Perhaps a change of venue
could revive some interest, raise some
membership dues, and open up opportunities to hire caterers?  I'd
personally find a LUG which had a different
caterer each month to be something worth attending, and worth paying to
attend.