[balug-announce] News & BALUG 2006-11-21: Marilyn Davis: "Why Python?"

Mon Nov 20 16:18:54 PST 2006

News & BALUG 2006-11-21: Marilyn Davis: "Why Python?"

For our November 21st, 2006 BALUG meeting, we have:
"Why Python?"
Speaker: Marilyn Davis - Marilyn earned a Ph.D. in Radio Astronomy
from UCSD and Master's degrees in Applied Physics from UCSD and
Mathematics from Denver University. Computer programming and teaching
captured her imagination and she has made significant contributions
in scientific, statistical, operations research, test-development and
groupware applications. She has been teaching C Programming at
UCSC-Extension for 17 years, and Python for 3 years.

About the talk
Marilyn will outline the characteristics of a *good* program and show
how Python takes the sting out of achieving those characteristics. We
will study some Python program snippets to demonstrate syntax,
readability, the help facility, data structures, functional
programming, regular expression handling, introspection, library
access, portability and object-oriented programming.

Time permitting, we will look at the results of a few language
comparison studies and look at some ways that Python is used in the
industry.

http://www.deliberate.com/marilyn/
http://www.balug.org/

No BALUG meeting in December this year.
Note that BALUG will not be meeting in December of this year.
We meet again, as usual, resuming on the 3rd Tuesday of the month on
2007-01-16.