[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: No Dec. meeting, next mtg. 2015-01-20; & other news

Tue Dec 16 10:37:43 PST 2014

BALUG: No Dec. meeting, next mtg. 2015-01-20; & other news

------------------------------

items, details further below:
BALUG: No Dec. meeting, next mtg. 2015-01-20; 2015 meeting dates
OMG no BALUG Dec. mtg., what Linux, etc. to do?: OpenLate ?
giveaways (CDs/DVDs, books, ...)
Got venue? (projector/screen ...)
volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your experience & resume!)
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

2014-12 no BALUG meeting in December.  We typically skip December.
Happy Holidays!  We generally meet 3rd Tuesdays, mark your calendars!:
2015-01-20 2015-02-17 2015-03-17 2015-04-21 2015-05-19 2015-06-16
2015-07-21 2015-08-18 2015-09-15 2015-10-20 2015-11-17 ...
http://www.balug.org/#Meetings-upcoming

Watch the web site[1] and announce[2] list for updates on upcoming
meetings, including 2015-01-20 meeting and specific venue location.

1. http://www.balug.org/

------------------------------

OMG no BALUG mtg., what Linux, etc. to do?: OpenLate ?

Going through Linux / Open Source / tech withdrawl with no BALUG meeting
today nor in December, and missing something in that realm to do today?
Might want to consider/try:
OpenLate @ OpenDNS - Agile Night[1]
OpenLate typically happens about alternate Tuesdays (conflicting with
about half of BALUG's meetings - but no BALUG Dec. meeting - no Dec.
conflict).  I'm also guestimating one might need to RSVP for their event
to get in and/or get food.

1. http://www.meetup.com/OpenLate/events/215985962/

------------------------------

We typically have various giveaway items at BALUG meetings.  We'll
likely have at least the below plus additional items.

CDs/DVDs/ISOs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We may also be able to "burn" images per request or copy to USB flash,
etc.  Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof,
also appreciated.  See the above URL for details (and the inventory
(qty.) of what we specifically have "burned" and available on-hand does
also frequently change).

Books - have some books to give away at the 2015-01-20 BALUG meeting.
I posted that to the BALUG-Talk list[1] - and would give a link to that
posting here, but that link isn't available yet*.  In the meantime, one
can peek here for information on the titles, etc.:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/berkeleylug/YFk-F3WZlOA
And if interested in title(s) on that list, post to the
BALUG-Talk list[1] as otherwise noted in that earlier posting to
increase your probability of getting one of the remaining copies.

* theoretically that link should be nearly instantly available
"You can use a 'View by date' link below to access more recent postings"
it used to work, and always or almost always worked consistently <=2012
and was very quickly updated on the "View by date" link, but though that
list mail has gone out (and been received), over an hour later it's
still not yet showing in the archive.  We've had repeated problems with
hosting provider Dreamhost[2] in the last couple years, including
multiple problems with our email lists and archives thereof - absolutely
definitely not a vendor I'd currently recommend.  Among many other
issues they've managed to lose over a decade of BALUG-Talk archives!

2. http://www.dreamhost.com/

------------------------------

Got venue?

We can use your help on leads (and follow-up) for venue!  Certainly feel
free to discus on our "talk[1]" list.  See also the earlier item[2] on
our admin list that gives fair overview of what we're hopefully looking
to find as for venue.  We could certainly use a venue that works well
for speakers/presenters (e.g. projector & screen), can handle fair sized
crowds (to 30 or more, ideally to over 100 as we sometimes have), is
reasonably economical and consistent across varying attendance sizes
(e.g. same location or very close in part of same facility), and where
dinner/food/beverages are either available at such a presentation
facility, or very close by.  IF YOU HAVE LEADS ON SPECIFIC VENUE(s) BE
SURE TO DROP US A NOTE!: balug-contact@balug.org - and can of course
also mention/discuss it on our "talk[1]" list.  And much thanks for
leads/contacts, useful ideas, follow-up on that, etc. that will get us
to our future venue(s)!

Henry's Hunan Restaurant - 110 Natoma St. can handle us well in most
regards for dining and up to fair size crowd, but we have no
screen/projector nor PA capabilities there, so for talks/presentations,
only the less formal, smaller, and without projected "slides" would
work there.  (But in the meantime, the food there is really yummy!)

We also expect to announce any and all venue changes reasonably well in
advance (week(s) to month or more), so folks have reasonable time to
prepare/adjust and aren't (too) "surprised" and so folks don't have last
minute changes sprung on them.

2.
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2014-July/001504.html

------------------------------

volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your resume/experience)

Not only can you do useful and cool stuff volunteering to help BALUG,
but it can also be a way to gain useful and practical experience, and
could also be something to add to or round out one's resume.

There a quite a variety of opportunities to help BALUG.  Come talk to us
at a meeting and/or drop us a note at:
balug-contact@balug.org
These opportunities may include, among other possibilities:
o assist on speaker coordination/procurement, etc.
o assist on publicity
o chief/assistant cat herder
o Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some
     quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrators).
o webmaster, assistant webmaster, designer, graphic artist
o archivist/history/retrieval/etc.
o and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG "ought" to be doing or
     would be good to do (feel free to suggest ideas!)

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback@balug.org