[BALUG-Talk] Linux Users' Group of Davis, Feb. 15: "Ultra-low-cost computers: $9 C.H.I.P. and $15 PINE64"

nbs nbs@sonic.net
Sat Jan 23 10:36:42 PST 2016

The Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD) will be holding the following meeting:

  Monday
  February 15, 2016
  7:00pm - 9:00pm

Presentation:
  Next Thing Co's "C.H.I.P.", a $9 computer, & PINE64, a $15 64bit supercomputer
  presented by Stephen Matthew Helms

    C.H.I.P. <http://getchip.com/> is "the world's first $9 computer",
    touted as being "built for work, play, and everything in between". It
    utilizes a 1GHz 'Allwinner R8' CPU, and has 512MB of RAM, 4GB of
    high-speed storage, USB port, built-in WiFi B/G/Ni, Bluetooth 4.0, and
    composite video output; HDMI and VGA adapters will also be available.

    PocketC.H.I.P. is a small case for C.H.I.P. that includes a built-in
    display, rechargable LiPo battery, and keyboard.

    C.H.I.P.'s operating system (OS) is Linux-based, and a GitHub
    repository is available containing the open source software used in
    the product. Tons of applications, games, and more are available.

    PINE A64 <http://pine64.com/> is "the world's first 64-bit
    expandable Quad Core 1.2GHz supercomputer, tablet, media center,
    and more... starting at just $15."

    PINE A64 is a super affordable 64-bit high performance expandable
    single board computer (SBC) utilizing a PINE64 ARM A5 64-bit
    processor, MALI-400 MP2 GPU running at 500MHz. It ships with two
    USB ports, HDMI output, 3.5mm audio/mic, Ethernet port, and two
    I/O expansion buses. The A64+ model adds three ports for optional
    accesories such as camera, touch panel, LCD, WiFi, Bluetooth.

    The PINE A64 can run Android 5.1, Ubuntu, OpenWrt gateway/router
    platform, openHAB smart home platform, and more.

    Both projects held successful Kickstarter crowdfunding campaigns.

This meeting will be held at:

  Explorit Nature Center
  3141 5th Street
  Davis, CA 95616

For more details on this meeting, visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/

For maps, directions, public transportation schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/explorit/

------------
About LUGOD:
------------

  The Linux Users' Group of Davis is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
  dedicated to the Linux computer operating system and other Open Source
  and Free Software.

  Since 1999, LUGOD has held regular meetings with guest speakers
  in Davis, California, as well as other events in Davis and the greater
  Sacramento region.  Events are always free and open to the public.

  You can 'like' LUGOD on Facebook at:
  https://www.facebook.com/LinuxUsersGroupOfDavis
  join the LUGOD group on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lugod/
  and find us on LinkedIn at: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=35879