[BALUG-Talk] Recommendations for email resender/"forwarder"? (infrastructure: Debian oldstable amd64, MTA exim4)

Sat Aug 12 07:52:29 PDT 2017

So, ... I'm looking for recommendations.

The basic context:

using /etc/aliases (or equivalent) to simply and directly forward/alias
email out onto The Internet at large, is in general a bad idea
(particularly in the days of spam, and anti-spam, etc., among other
factors).

Our existing old hosting on DreamHost.com uses a fair bit of that.  8-O
Need to migrate that functionality off of DreamHost.com.
I'm looking for a way to make that migration that at least
partially fixes the issues with such overly simplistic aliases.
Notably such "aliased"/forwarded email ought be sent out with
appropriate Sender: or similar header(s) (Resent-From: ?) and envelope
FROM showing (re)origination from domain of the forwarding host (@balug.org
or subdomain thereof).
Ideally, a relatively simple near-drop-in replacement that could go
into /etc/alises, that would, rather than do overly simple (and problematic)
aliases such as:
some-alias@balug.org: bob@example.com jane@example.com ...
might implement something more like:
some-alias@balug.org: "|resend bob@example.com jane@example.com"
Also, for these purposes, do not want the complexity of mail lists,
e.g. don't need or want subscribe/unsubscribe, archives, etc.
At present @balug.org has at least 28 distinct aliases - certainly
don't want to manage or have to deal with 28+ additional email lists.

The target infrastructure is:
Debian oldstable
Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie) x86_64
MTA: exim4
(will get upgraded to stable at some point, but for the short to
medium-term future or so, it's oldstable, and need to implement
solution on oldstable).

Thanks in advance regarding recommendations/pointers.  :-)