[BALUG-Talk] Recommendations for email resender/"forwarder"? (infrastructure: Debian oldstable amd64, MTA exim4)

Glen Martin glen@glen-martin.com
Sat Aug 12 18:18:38 PDT 2017

Rick rather correctly pointed out:

 > shell pipelines in /etc/aliases are so notoriously a security hazard
that modern MTAs of my experience disable parsing them by default, and
you re-enable that parsing at your peril.

I completely agree with that! I'd imagined, perhaps erroneously, that
this query was about a local system over which posters have ~exclusive
control and thus some confidence of security, rather than work or some
multi-user system.

You can probably configure a milter to strip pre-existing DKIM on
outbound. I haven't tried. Maybe the milter stretches that way, maybe
you need to hack it. opendkim seems to have a config switch,
RemoveOldSignatures.

But as I mentioned, you may have to go a little further than just the
proper DKIM headers, eg non-standard DKIM and other provenance headers.
Google seems to be trying to hard to catch removal of DKIM .. there are
more than a couple of X-G* and other headers in there that will give
away that they've seen the message before. I don't immediately see a way
to remove those trivially in opendkim milter.

Unforseen consequences notwithstanding, I haven't had a complaint from
my recipients for a while, neither for something going missing, nor for
the flag of shame on my list messages, so I guess it is working. Part of
it might just be that I have a somewhat working DKIM, DMARC, SPF, etc
alphabet soup. :)

HTH

glen