[BALUG-Talk] [BALUG-Admin] balug.org DNS review

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 28 22:48:05 PDT 2017

Quoting Todd Hawley (celticdm@gmail.com):

> Good point and most times that would be true. However, I've run into a
> couple folk who have more than one site hosted there and move other
> sites there "because they provide good service." In other words, they
> provide better service to users who have multiple accounts there than
> to those who only have one.

Very plausible.  And/or those other users may have bought a higher grade
of service costing more money.

Also, to be fair, a number of major hosting service such as Bluehost
(don't know wbout Dreamhost) based their reputations on specifically
hosting of Wordpress Web sites on shared hosts -- with other services
like SMTP / mailing lists being (in the opinion of outside commenters)
afterthoughts that are poorly run.

This would be consistent with what most modern Internet-hosting
customers mean when they say 'site'.

Worpress is a vast and security-problematic blogging (etc.) engine
written in the security-problematic PHP language, so there's quite a
market niche describable as 'company that takes care of innumerable
security meltdowns and other nuisances so you can use a cruddy Web app
without devoting your life to it'.  If a customer sees that as the most
important thing a hosting company can do, then from that perspective a
company whose SMTP / mailing list operations suck rocks might be utterly
excellent.

I'm honestly _not_ trying to mock that viewpoint.  I merely don't happen
to share it.