[BALUG-Talk] BALUG list(s) unsubscribe (egad, us listadmins get mail)

Sat May 2 01:55:48 UTC 2020

"Joseph Perla" <joseph@jperla.com>

Ah, what listadmins get to deal with :-/ ...
(if anyone has constructive criticism on how this process/instructions
can be improved, feel free to chime in).

I'm sorry, "Joseph Perla" <joseph@jperla.com>,
but now you're getting annoying.
BALUG has over 800 list subscribers,
but alas, you're now the less than 1 in 800 that can't figure out
how to get the email address you have subscribed, unsubscribed.
The instructions from the list and web pages are pretty straight-forward.
I also specifically and personally emailed you and the email address
subscribed that's apparently getting that subscribed email to you,
relevant instructions.  Yet it appears you still fail to follow those
instructions.

It ain't rocket science.  I don't know how much more clear it can be.
There's a subscribed, opted in (probably double opted in) email address
that's receiving email from the list.  Great.  You say it's some catch-all
you can't sent from - whatever, not my problem, that doesn't prevent you
(or whomever controls that email) from unsubscribing.

By default, you even get monthly password reminder - you shouldn't share
that password with anyone (not even me) ... whatever, you also included it
in your email.  So, okay, go to the web interface - you know what that
is, you know what Internet and browser and web are, right?  Did you read my
email?  Did you comprehend it?  You put the subscribed email in the
box to unsubscribe ... don't have the password, you can request password
reminder, and it'll email it to you.
So, subscribed email address, password, web form, clicky-clicky, boom,
unsubscribed.  With that, it's immediate, no email confirmation or
the like needed (I think it kicks out one final email that the email
address has been unsubscribed) ... and yeah, I just retested all that,
works 100% perfectly fine lickety split.  So, ain't too damn hard,
just friggin' do it.  If you can't handle that, give the email address
and password to someone else who might volunteer do do that for you - but
I'm not going to do that for you.  Just do it - get it done - boom,
unsubscribed, not that hard.
If you can't figure out the instructions, maybe search on the web on how
to unsubscribe from a mailman list - probably a few zillion
examples/tutorials out there too - it ain't hard.

And if that "catch-all" email doesn't want to be unsubscribed, too bad
for them - they're apparently forwarding you the list email ... that
also allows you to control the subscription of that email ... that's just
the way it is.  I have absolutely zero control of what email sent to
balug.org@jperla.com gets forwarded to "Joseph Perla" <joseph@jperla.com>
Not my problem, if you have issue with that, I suggest you take it up
with balug.org@jperla.com.

Sorry if this sounds frustrated, but well, it is.
I get too many of these kinds of darn emails (not frequently, but they do
occasionally keep coming up ... relentless occasional dribble/trickle).
If you've got useful criticism on how the instructions and such can be
improved, sure, send it.
If you can provide any diagnostics of where things are failing where they're
in fact nor functioning as they ought, great, please provide it - but you've
not done any of that.
You're basically just "please unsubscribe me".
No, it's self-serve - you (or balug.org@jperla.com) self-subscribed,
and have all the needed access to as, or even more easily, likewise
self-unsubscribe the balug.org@jperla.com address yourself.  So,
please do so.

Hmmm, hey, I guess this isn't the best time to also put out a pitch,
Hey, who'd also like to also volunteer to be a list admin and deal with
emails from folks that can't read and follow instructions, on a recurring
basis?