[BALUG-Talk] BALUG: Notable upgrades coming soon! Lists (Mailman 2 --> 3), etc.

Michael Paoli michael.paoli@berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 6 05:29:18 UTC 2024

BALUG: Notable upgrades coming soon!  Lists (Mailman 2 --> 3), etc.

Some significant updates are coming soon to BALUG!
Most notably, for the Virtual Machine (VM) hosting BALUG:

List software will be upgraded from Maliman 2 to Mailman 3.
That's significantly different, so some key things to be aware of:
Your existing subscriptions will migrate (same lists, same posting address,
etc.), as will most of your list setting preferences.
However, login and password will not migrate.
Can still subscribe and unsubscribe via mail,
but for viewing and changing one's list option preferences,
will generally want to create a login account for that - and
one for the site will cover all your Mailman 3 subscriptions, rather
than Mailman 2 which has per-list logins.
Quite a bit more useful information about the Mailman 2 --> Mailman 3
migration, and what it likely means for you, can be found here:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:mailman2to3

The BALUG VM will also be undergoing some major operating system
upgrades.  Though this will cause some at least brief outages, I'm
aiming and hoping to generally keep those as short as feasible.  So,
in general, if site appears to be down or some service(s) not operational,
probably check back a bit later and they'll likely be available again.
I'm hoping/aiming to do most of this work evenings and weekends,
and also hoping to be all wrapped up before the next regularly scheduled
BALUG meeting 2024-08-20.

Out-of-band communication/status?  If anything goes significantly
sideways for many hours or more, I'll probably post some status update
to the SF-LUG.org list: http://linuxmafia.com/mailman/listinfo/sf-lug
and/or BerkeleyLUG.com list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/berkeleylug
The SF-LUG.org and BerkeleyLUG.com web sites also use the same BALUG VM
host.