[Balug-admin] Re: [Balug-talk --> Balug-admin] web site adminstrivia

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Wed Apr 20 21:33:55 PDT 2005

Wouldn't it be more appropriate (presuming it's feasible) to have a
"Beta" test area, on the same system, but, for example, using a
different port (e.g.:
http://www.balug.org:8080/
)
Key advantages:
one could test on the same system, and when things were found to be
sufficiently "better", they could be migrated from test ("Beta") to
"Production" (primary web site area and related URLs).
The process could be repeated as necessary to make incremental
improvements (and possibly even rather to quite large changes too).
Avoids most of the issues of having to shift between different systems and
issues of accounting for inherent differences between systems (e.g. hardware).

Isn't it also more appropriate for most of these discussions to be on
balug-admin-balug.org@lists.balug.org
rather than
balug-talk-balug.org@lists.balug.org
... after all, I'd think most subscribers to balug-talk probably aren't
so interested in these administrivia e-mails being on balug-talk,
particularly if they aren't fairly interesting/topical in a general
LINUX or BALUG (as in meetings, presentation, general discussions of
things LINUX and/or BALUG) context.