[balug-admin] (forw) Re: Cisco Systems, Inc. is hiring

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 23 16:31:29 PDT 2006

I notice that about 2/3 of these recruiters just lob their jobs postings
towards any-old-where, and say only that they want personal help from
some unspecified stranger (that would be me) in posting to "your site".
I've conversed with some of them, and uniformly they really have no idea
what they mean by "site" in this context; they figure you'll work hard
to _figure out_ somewhere, as if figuring out where to put their posts
is somehow _your_ problem.  And they never, ever read documentation.

These people are paid for _what_, again?

(Jim feel free to post this on the SF-LUG page, if you wish.  I'm sure
she'll get around to you sooner or later, anyway.)

----- Forwarded message from "Marisela Peifer -X (mpeifer - Spherion at Cisco)" <mpeifer@cisco.com> -----

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:09:08 -0700
From: "Marisela Peifer -X (mpeifer - Spherion at Cisco)" <mpeifer@cisco.com>
To: balug-announce-owner@lists.balug.org
Subject: Cisco Systems, Inc. is hiring

Hi Chris,

I would like to post to your site and let the users know that Cisco
Systems, Inc. is hiring in San Jose, CA.  I would appreciate any
suggestions from you in this matter.

Title: Software Engineer-Networking (Multiple Openings)

We are looking to hire software engineers ranging from Entry level to
Experience level.
This is an excellent opportunity to participate in development of
software in the Data Center Business Unit (DCBU) for its next generation
platform leading storage networking switches. The work involves design
and development in customized Linux environment for some key
infrastructure components in a variety of director class and fabric
switches, to enable a long list of innovative features for Fiber Channel
and Ethernet technologies.

You will be part of a fast-paced team responsible for delivering quality
code for large complex systems requirements. Open communications,
empowerment, innovation, teamwork and customer success are the
foundations of the team with "pay for performance" culture. Thus, you
set your own limits for learning, achievements and rewards.

You will be responsible for designing, and developing system software
for next generation products. High availability, Hitless Software
Upgrade, Scalability, Modularity, Usability are key considerations in
all design and development work. You will be exposed to great design
methodologies using finite state machines and various in-house
tools/libraries. Work also involves providing constant feedback to ASIC,
hardware and software teams for improvements. Write complete functional
and design specs independently. Write portions of product spec. Lead
development of subsystems. Design & Develop large portions of software
independently and rapidly. Participate in Cisco's Patent Program.

Requirements:
Knowledge and experience of complex software design for distributed
systems in embedded networking/telecommunications projects. Proven track
record of successful projects in similar products/technologies is
preferred.

Must be proficient in C programming/debugging in Unix/Linux environment.
Must have good software design skills.

Must have excellent oral and written communication skills; professional
presentation skills is desired.

(MSCS or MSEE preferred)

Regards,
Marisela Peifer
Talent Acquisition and Management
Cisco Systems, Inc
Direct 408.527.5669
mpeifer@cisco.com

<blocked::http://www.cisco.com/en/US/hmpgs/index.html>

> I would like to post to your site and let the users know that Cisco
> Systems, Inc. is hiring in San Jose, CA.  I would appreciate any
> suggestions from you in this matter.

Hi, Marisela.

BALUG doesn't have a real jobs forum, though I can recommend some others
nearby -- and balug-announce is mostly for announcements of BALUG events.