[BALUG-Admin] Fwd: No Cost to Attend - Register Today for CommunityOne 2008!

Mon Apr 14 07:25:49 PDT 2008

I think I'd agree and generally be inclined to ignore it.

It may be legit., but it's definitely on the spammy side.

Then again, could respond :->, ...

Thank you for RSVPing for the upcoming BALUG meeting.
We look forward to seeing you there!

:-)

... perhaps "their" "marketing" <cough, cough> algorithm is:
at main web site, for first whitespace delimited string containing a single
@ where domain resolves, send email to that address ... for name/title of
organization, use the TITLE from the HEAD section of that HTML page.
That algorithm would explain why that email address was used, and other
contact email addresses weren't used, and why they refer to us precisely as
Bay Area Linux Users Group (BALUG).

A trace of research on the domain seems to suggest it may have been sent
by an "email marketing firm".  The From: address seems odd/fishy for a
more legit. operation.  Complete headers might be "interesting", but the
From:, To:, Subject:, body, and apparent algorithm speaks fairly well for
itself ... it is what it is.  Other evidence also puts it towards the
spammy side (e.g. the request to send/forward to lots of folks -
"Just send" ... "to all of your members and urge them" ...).  If it was
actually sent from Yahoo!, that would seem rather odd too ... but who
knows (or cares).  The web site referred to in the email doesn't appear
to be of quality construction - e.g. the "contact us" link at the top goes
to a broken page ... all seems to be by the same "email marketing firm".