[BALUG-Admin] Featured Job Sponsor @ BALUG?

Wed Feb 13 12:35:49 PST 2008

Just my opinion, but ...

somehow I don't think I'm keen on the idea of (effectively)
selling ad space(/time).

I've got not problem with short* announcements - they can even "hand
out flyers" (don't foist one into everyone's hands, but have a stack
available and offer them to anyone that wants them).

*I think we also need to keep our "community" announcements *short*.
I think our guideline is like 1 minute (or so?) per
person(/organization/entity) ... I think we need to remind folks a bit
before the "community announcements" start, and hold them to it a bit
more (at least one person went on fairly long last month, if I recall
correctly).

But hey, I'm fine with - if someone wants to announce as part of their
community announcement timeslot that they want to invite folks
to a beer at bar up/down the street after BALUG if they want to
chat about it more or to offer to buy them a beer at the restaurant
if they catch them before dinner ... or over dinner if they want to chat
with them more about it ... whatever - I've no problem/issue with that.
Maybe we want to consider changing the timing of our "community
announcements"?  If we're set to eat upstairs, and have the audio
setup done early, could always do the "community announcements"
before or around the start of dinner ... or possibly split up the
announcements if for some reason it makes sense to do some before dinner, and
some after (e.g. if it's of relevance before/during dinner, could do it before
dinner).

I've also got no problem with giving appropriate mention (e.g. some appropriate
place on the BALUG web site) for folks that help support BALUG (with $$,
service, time ... whatever we use/consume that's of value to us) ...
but even on that, I'm still quite of the opinion that it not be on the
*main* page ... but can be a (suitably placed/titled and reasonably prominent)
link on the main page that goes to a "contributors" page or such (hey, and
more contribution(s) we can toss in a (not too huge) logo, tagline, link
to the company/entity, etc.)

I guess part of the way I look at it is active/passive information "push".
I've no particular issue with folks bringing information, and doing *short*
announcement.  I see more of an issue with consuming more valuable time /
attention resource (e.g. forcing everyone to look at something with (more
of) their time, or foisting it upon their screens.  Also, we often run
rather tight for presentation time, and I'd rather hate to eat into that
more by adding "sponsored" announcement/advertising that takes more time.

*Maybe* there's some wiggle room and/or I might be (partially?) convinced
otherwise ... e.g. when folks are sitting around eating, and presentation
hasn't started yet (e.g. typically about 1st half hour of dinner or so -
we do want to allow our presenter time to eat!) ... could possibly display
interesting/useful stuff in that timeframe on the screen (and that wouldn't
be horribly disruptive).

Anyway, ... just my take on things ... other opinions probably do and will
vary.