[BALUG-Admin] permission to post regarding UC Berkeley Extension Linux Short Courses

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 7 14:11:07 PST 2009

Quoting jim (jim@well.com):

> announcing the classes seems like a good idea to me. i agree with
> rick: no binaries, no attachments in email to groups. use ASCII inline
> as a courtesy to readers (and administrators).
>
> note i've tried to improve readability in the items below (got rid of
> newlines within blocks).

Ah, you see, that's a rare case of (minor) dissent.  I'm old-school, and
think it's really rather rude to post lines greater than 80 columns to
(most) mailing lists, absent exceptional reasons such as long lines of
code that should not be split.

You'll notice that I deliberately keep what I post (except for
.signature blocks, which by design are 4x80 columns, and notionally not
part of the message text) within the first 75 columns of screen width,
using hard returns to ensure that -- and also rewrap quoted text as
required to fully comply with that community standard.

"Getting rid of newlines within blocks" is, by that standard, doing
precisely The Wrong Thing, and going out of your way to do so.

--
Cheers,              Crypto lets someone say "Hi! I absolutely definitely have
Rick Moen            a name somewhat like the name of a large familiar