[BALUG-Admin] "automatically" subscribe to BALUG-Announce if ... - various descriptive updates, etc.

Wed Aug 16 22:58:19 PDT 2017

Well, reasonable opinions will reasonably differ.  :-)
Appreciate the opinions and critique, etc.
Maybe also tightening up the hysteresis (delay) time, from, e.g.
2 days, to ... something more like 2 hours, would also help.

The additional introductory text sent also makes things fairly clear
too ... and it's also on the list pages, and was well covered on the
lists long ago.  I suppose the only way one could never get exposed
to that text would be if the subscription was done entirely via
email - they it may be fair bit more of a surprise.  But kind'a
unlikely folks would do that, as most all the pointers start with the
web pages.  Unless folks happen to know the lists are Mailman, and
what those conventions are for interacting with it via email ... but
even then to find the post addresses to be able to figure out
the -request addresses, where does one see the posting addresses?
On the same web page that's used for subscribing - and has the relevant
text there.

Anyway, the boiler plate additional text I've been sending when
"auto-subscribing" folks ... and it can probably do with at least some
bit of update (haven't had anyone yet to get auto-subscribed since
we've added the BALUG-Test list):
$ cat add_to_announce.txt
Per BALUG's policy,

If an e-mail address is subscribed to one or more BALUG lists other than
BALUG-Announce, but not subscribed to BALUG-Announce, we may subscribe
the e-mail address to BALUG-Announce.

In general, if one is subscribed to any of BALUG's lists, one should
also be subscribed to BALUG-Announce (most notably to receive important
BALUG announcements which may not be sent to BALUG lists other than
BALUG-Announce).

If for some reason one doesn't want that to happen, see:
http://www.balug.org/lists/balug-announce-do-not-auto-add.html