[Balug-announce] BALUG meeting 2005-09-20 7:00 P.M. PDT. at Four Seas Restaurant

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 19 22:50:28 PDT 2005

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael@halligan.org):

> Does it always have to be on Tuesdays, and at the Four Seasons?

The Four Seas (note name) was and is handy because BALUG founder Art
Tyde is friends with the restaurant's owner, which is leverage
sufficient to get the upstairs banquet room on a recurring, regular
basis (with sufficient advance notice given).

Having the banquet room to itself means that BALUG can have speakers, and
acoustic isolation from the rest of the seating so we can have some hope
of discussion among BALUG's tables.

And it might not have occurred to you to do so, but you can go
downstairs at the Four Seas and order their really _good_ food, i.e.,
avoid the standard tourist fare you otherwise get in the banquet room.

> If it has to be Chinese, how about the Jasmine Teahouse in the Mission?

I assume you've verified that a large banquet room can be regularly
reserved just for us there, without extra expense?  Ditto for the others?

If you've done none of that but are just throwing out names of good
restaurants, the whole lot of the rest of us can do that, too.  (I grew
up in Hong Kong, Michael; it's basically my native cuisine -- and I
lived in S.F. for a long time.  I can recommend quite a few good
places.)   But it would rather miss the point.

And, if you haven't even _tried_ getting the Four Seas Restaurant's
non-tourist food by walking downstairs and ordering, kindly do that, then.