[Balug-admin] Re: keysigning at (BALUG! Re: Visiting SF on 20th-22nd June)

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Fri Jun 17 08:12:17 PDT 2005

Sounds like a good plan ...
keysigning to start at 6:30 P.M. at BALUG meeting site (that's already what
the biglumber event indicates) ... we can "encourage" folks that are interested
in keysigning to start up towards 6:30 P.M. ... guestimating based on
typical timelines there's probably a fair amount of time for keysigning
(talk/presentation part typically doesn't start until about 7:30 or later)
... so it could probably be stretched that long if absolutely necessary, ...
but if the keysigning is all or mostly completed on the earlier side of things
that's probably better (more time for meet/greet/eat before
presentation/talk).

Sounds like ba-keysign is fairly well covered, but perhaps Gregory Sutter
or I can send another e-mail there to clear up / confirm / disambiguate
details on time/location updates and such.

"Someone" still needs to send to the balug announce list.  Does anyone have
more details about our speaker other than what's on the front page of
the BALUG site itself?  I can write up a blurb to go out with announcement
to mention the keysigning portion.  If no one has more details on the
speaker, I could send to the announce list.  For keysigning blurb (on
BALUG announce) I'd suggest:

"
BALUG will also include PGP/GPG keysigning starting at 6:30 P.M.  As
keysigning won't be possible during most of the later part of the
BALUG meeting (as we have speaker/presentation), please try to make
it as close to 6:30 P.M. as possible if you're interested in the
keysigning.  If you're interested in having your key signed, bring
government issued photo ID (e.g. drivers license or passport, etc.) and
for your key(s), key ID and key fingerprint (preferably on little slips
of paper).  For signing other folks keys, you'll probably want to make
some notes (e.g. bring a writing implement).  Placing your key(s) on the
biglumber event keyring:
https://www.biglumber.com/x/web?ev=77348
(preferably at least several hours ahead of time if possible) can
also help facilitate ease of keysigning and exchange.
"
I'd also suggest the subjet line include "keysigning" and somehow indicate
that starts at 6:30 P.M., perhaps something like:
BALUG 2005-06-21 6:30 P.M. keysigning; 7:00 P.M. meeting & featured speaker
Moshe Bar - CTO of XenSource, Open Source vereran and openMosix Project leader

Anyway, ... if I don't see someone else get this to the announce list, I'll
probably cover it this evening, or rather/quite early on Saturday.

Also, hopefully our webmaster could put a bit of information about the
keysigning on the web page also.

I'd also guestimate, based on typical BALUG attendence and ba-keysign draw,
that roughly 6 to 15 folks would be interested in keysigning, and we can
probably well accomplish that within half an hour, and without need for
more formalized keysigning algorithms/methodologies (since we may have
moderate number of comparatively inexperienced keysigners/signees, less
formal methods probably work better for the smaller number of folks
anyway).  I'm also guestimating ~1/2 of "regular" BALUG attendees will
be interested in keysigning (this is based on other LUG+keysigning events -
typically about half of attendees partake in keysigning activities at
such combined events/meetings).