[Balug-admin] Re: [Balug-announce] --> Talk ... etc.

Michael Paoli mp@rawbw.com
Tue Sep 20 07:58:14 PDT 2005

And you're all announcing ... what? ;-)

Could we please try and keep the "talk" traffic on the "talk" list
<balug-talk-balug.org@lists.balug.org>
lest we annoy and lose subscribers from the "announce" list - which should,
at least in theory, be relatively low-volume, and mostly relatively
important BALUG related announcements.

Thanks.

Also, suggestion for the BALUG list wranglers:
Can we get the "announce" list moderated?  Not that it gets horribly
overused/abused when the "announce" list probably wound't be the optimal
choice for a message to get out, but sometime stuff goes out on "announce"
that can be rather annoying (e.g. overzealous recruiters/agencies sending
out job announcements for positions that aren't related to LINUX and aren't
in the Bay Area).  Maybe just get those on the "admin" list, or some
suitable pool of folks as moderators (so that we have "enough" moderators,
so that things that should get passed along don't sit for *too* long).
Anyway, maybe we can also talk more about this at today's BALUG meeting.

Also, the "admin" list - I think I had suggested it before, but can we
go ahead and open up the archives to the public (without requiring
being on the subscriber list).  Since folks could always access it
with an e-mail address, I don't see a lot of "value add" by making one
have to subscribe to read the archives.  I think it would also be
useful for the archives to be readable so search engines (e.g. Google) could
search and index it, and folks could peruse and/or refer to it.  I think
I'd always made the point that stuff there isn't all that horribly hidden
from the public, and hence stuff there should be readable by the public
(if they're so inclined to read administrivia details and such for BALUG
that may often not be all that exciting/interesting).  Anyway, just my
thoughts on that (among some others).  I still haven't heard any objections
to this suggestion :-).

Quoting Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>:

> Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael@halligan.org):
>
> > Does it always have to be on Tuesdays, and at the Four Seasons?

<snip>