[Balug-Admin] Probably should not have been approved for "announce": Maemo (N800 Linux tablet) course at Stanford on November 6

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 15 20:40:01 PDT 2007

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> This message probably should not have been approved for the BALUG "announce"
> list:
> http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-announce-balug.org/2007-October/000093.html
> The evidence would seem to indicate it got "approved" (perhaps someone
> accidentally clicked the wrong item or thought it was for a different list),
> though it's not impossible that it may have been passed/approved through some
> header forging or the like.

No, I approved it manually, after pondering the substance of the
message:  It struck me as of reasonably local (Stanford U) Linux
technical interest.

(I did NOT notice the two HTML attachments and one PDF attachment, as
those are not easily noticeable in the Mailman listadmin
posting-approval window.  Had I noticed, I certainly would not have
_ever_ approved a 355 kB+ message to _any_ mailing list, but the posting
was not flagged for excessive length, etc.)

> "announce", however should be quite low volume (like 1 to 3 messages
> per month) and quite topical to BALUG (not a catch-all for any and/or
> everything LINUX, OpenSource, etc., that anyone and/or everyone may
> care to announce).

> If there are non-BALUG events of note that we want to mention on "announce",
> it's probably most suitable to include a short mention and reference to such
> along with one of our regular mailings to "announce" ... if at all.

If there's consensus that this should be policy, then same should be reflected
on http://lists.balug.org/listinfo.cgi/balug-announce-balug.org .  It is
not at present.  Current posted policy is:

   This is a low-volume announce-only (non-discussion) mailing list
   primarily for Bay Area Linux User Group's meeting announcements to its
   members. Please send any other announcement to the moderators [link],
   and they'll decide whether to post it.

Although Boda didn't follow the directive to post to the moderators, it
(i.e., the ASCII portion of it, that I was aware of) struck me on
balance as reasonably appropriate.  If it we were to receive more than
about two such messages in a given month, then I'd drag my feet on
posting-volume grounds -- and probably would defer action until after
consultation on this mailing list.